Wednesday 15 March 2017

Movie Review - Bedeviled

Bedeviled

(2016)

Circle 18 / Conduit / StandOff Pictures : Film & TV House / GEM Entertainment

1 / 10

Bedeviled Poster

Oh dear, this was painful to watch, in so many ways.

First off, let me say, I liked the premise of this film.  A killer app!

Shame that's all it has going for it, the writers and directors, Abel and Burlee Vang, missed so many opportunities to create a good horror film here and were lax with what they had.

The directors don't even try to build any tension or create any kind of atmosphere.  They rely too heavily on crescendos to make the audience jump.  When I say heavily it was at every chance they had - somebody reaches for a shoulder (BA BAA), a shadow passes by (BA BAA), a door opens (BA BAA), a camera pans (BA BAA), a gnat farts (BA BAA) - and they're turned up to 11.  Hey, Guys!  It's NOT your movie that scares people, it's the volume that makes them jump - It's not the same thing.

Then there's the apps name; "Mr Bedeviled"; I take it the college students aren't taking English are they(?)  Or they would be a little more cautious in using the app.  Then there's the fact that it auto-installs on their phones.  I don't know about you but if something auto-installed on my phone I would be instantly reflashing my phone back to factory presets.

Another thing I found tardy was the stolen ideas.  The scene where granny does "The Grudge" is sad but extremely funny; I'm smiling now just thinking about it.  If I were the Vang's I'd be most embarrassed at their demon who is a pathetic caricature of The Joker, this was really dismaying to see.  I can understand why they just kept showing the smiling mouth the full effect is unintentionally hilarious and the make-up is the poorest I've seen.

However, the actors do a passable job with their characters and cope with the bad script in their stride.  They at least worked for their money.

I hope somebody takes the idea of this story and decides to do it justice as this could be one hell of a story and one hell of a movie.   At the moment it's just hell.


No comments:

Post a Comment